Friday, September 12, 2008

Paula Lindblom...



QWERTY
Have you ever asked yourself why the letters of a typewriter’s keyboard are placed in the order they are?
- No, I have never asked myself that question.
- We can call this keyboard QWERTY, the first keys of the upper row are placed like that.
The first typewriter was invented by Christopher Scholes in 1873, in order to improve the calligraphy. However, soon a problem arose, when the typebars jammed against each other and made it impossible to write.To solve this, Christopher Scholes designed the keyboard QWERTY, a keyboard which should force the user to write more slowly to keep the type arms from jamming. Typewriter keyboards, that in time became computer keyboards, were from the beginning designed for slower writing and not faster.
From Paulo Coelho’s “Veronika decide morrer”.
Translated by Christina Hallberg.
Paula Lindblom about the work and the ideas behind…
I have always been fascinated by “recycling” or reusage, to make new use of everyday things.
To transform, to put in a different context. As Pippi Longstocking says: Finders keepers.
That is how I relate to reuse and jewellery.What I find both at home, in nature - in the form of waste or other natural materials - and at flea markets, forms the base for my attitude to resident shapes and expressions.
I want the original material and its shape to be visible, first to appear as a piece of jewellery, but by a closer look to come out as things of everyday life …
I have visited Cape Town, South Africa, to study reutilisation and recycling.
During my travels I had the opportunity to see incredible trinkets and art pieces including small glass beads, and upon my return my jewellery features such glass beads. Contrast and addition in communicating shape.
My jewellery is inspired from different regions of Africa, mixed with my own daily surroundings. Unisex is one aim with my jewellery.
My motto is: Curious about life.

1 comment:

paula lindblom said...

Hi!

Nice that you told me about the Paulo Coelho blog, interesting!
I have read the most of his books that is in Swedish and I think I like the 11 minutes most, just for the moment… it was a notable mind experiment, I really enjoy the journey in the book…
I’m also a big fan of P.C, I like his philosophy… the calmness with a twist.

When I’m working with my jewelleries, sometimes a title or a text line get me some direction of what I want to work with for the moment, and this QWERTY line, at the typewriter, and that it is places like that to get a slower tempo it’s really brilliant to add it in a text and explain why, in this days when everything’s have a feeling of turning faster and faster in our society…

Thanks once aging for visit my blog and give me a tip of Paulo Coelhos blog.
Keep up the good work!

With love Paula.

I hope you understand my “poor” English?!