Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Marjorie K Schick...




Now we talk huge colourful art pieces for the body!
I really, really like these kinds of “jewelleries”, that the artist isn’t afraid of working BIG.



Marjorie K Schick

My work is a sculptural statement which is complete when off the figure yet is constructed and exists because of the human body. I am intrigued by the idea that the human body is capable of carrying large objects, both physically and visually; therefore, I often construct forms of a scale which puts the work into the category of body sculpture rather than jewelry.
There are five major aspects to my work: the constructed three-dimensional form, the color relationships, the definition of space, the combination of patterns, and the scale of the objects in relationship to the human figure. My goal is to create a sense of visual tension among the formal elements of each object, such as from line to plane, from color to value, from one directional force to another, or from the rhythms in the structure to the rhythms in the colors. Each object is studied and worked in totality, no part being any less important than any other.
I refer to the linear constructions I did in the 1980's as three-dimensional drawings to wear and to the newer more organic works as sculptural paintings to wear. I hope that as objects they seem to be "alive" with aesthetic presence. The motivation for the work is never to fit into any trend but rather the work is done out of a passion for creating, for trying to do something significant”.

Marjorie K. Schick's resume

No comments: