Friday, April 23, 2010

Onas or selk’nam , Tierra del Fuego, Patagonia…

I got the photo at the top from Montserrat, she and her husband Agusti has been in the area of Onas in Argentina some years ago… I get fascinated by the image that I saw in her house in Catalonia and look it up at the internet, a fascinated and sad story in the end, these days no one of the Onas are alive…

When I was younger I was fascinated about the Indian culture, the shamanism and the occult magic… I think that I still have some kind of believe, that the nature is with us, that we have to take care of our heritages, that the old spirits also are a part of our life and that you can see and feel the wing beat from older days. I believe if you have an open mind for the things around you, you will have a great life in the end…

These photos are really interesting in a lots of ways, first of all it’s body adornments and that’s what I’m working with, even if I don’t work with body paint or tattoos, I making jewellery in a contemporary traditions… but my ideas is from primitive people, to take care of and use nature and the material we have in our surroundings for making beautifulness… to decorate the body and to show different statements or status in the society, to tell a new stories or to add power in “useless” materials…



Text and photos from internet,
The Onas, whose name translates to “Man of the North” in the indigenous language Yámana, were a pre-Columbian indigenous group which inhabited Tierra del Fuego. The group arrived to the region an estimated 7,000 years ago when the island was still connected to the mainland. The Onas were a hunter-gatherer society which depended on guanaco as its principal source of food. Although they lived in a coastal area, they did not partake in sailing. The Onas relied on the leadership of a group of elders, but otherwise were a communal society without greater social stratification.

http://www.der.org/films/ona-people-preview.html

http://www.der.org/films/ona-people.html

No comments: