Friday, February 26, 2010

Yong Joo Kim...

Yong Joo Kim, originally from Seoul, South Korea, is a recent graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design who makes jewelry out of textiles and other nontraditional materials.

http://www.yongjookim.com/2009/


Artist statement

Think of beans, straws, pins, nails, velcro, snaps, cable ties, and electric caps. These objects are not normally considered beautiful or valuable. I explore the value of such mundane objects, and discover their hidden beauty through a process of reconfiguration. I pay close attention to the objects and their system of organization in my environment. I bring in new ways of looking at these objects by creating relationships among them. My work introduces unconventional use of familiar artifacts into a world full of conventions.
By assembling, grouping, clustering, and piling, the small and simple elements become complex, and give rise to the unexpected. As the wearer approaches my work, the experience of perspective shifts and sudden realizations spark wonder, discovery, tension, joy and play. My investigation of creation, innovation, and transformation questions the definition of value, and provides a never-ending field for invention. My culture, social, environmental surroundings play a part in informing the work. Yong Joo Kim


From;
http://www.wearableartblog.com/

No comments: