Saturday, January 17, 2009

Alnö...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aln%C3%B6n

At this place for 40-50 years and more, my grandparents (at my mother’s side) had their own small farm, I was living in this area my first year of my life… Today its horse ranches, but when I was little it was a small farm with two dwelling house and a some animal, like turkey and so on… and also a outside privy with three hole, two for adults and one for the small once.
So it was not so much privates…
My grandparents lived here and also my aunt and uncle and my cousins, and me and my father and mother for a short period in our life…

We get stacked in a police control, so don’t drink and drive! It was around -15 degrees and very windy BUT absolutely beautiful with the “smoke” on the ice in the Gulf of Bothnia.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alnön is an island in the Gulf of Bothnia just outside Sundsvall in Medelpad, Sweden. It has an area of 65 km2 and a population of 7,951 (2005-12-31), which in summertime doubles. Most inhabitants work in Sundsvall and other towns on the mainland.
The island is 15 km long and 6 km wide on the widest spot. It is connected to the mainland by a 1,042 meter bridge, which was the longest bridge in Sweden when it was opened in 1964.
Alnön was populated already during the Viking Age, and there are several tumuli on the island from that period. The old stone church near the modern bridge was built in the 12th century.
The island saw a population boom in the second half of the 19th century, due to the development of steam driven sawmills. In 1850 the island had 950 inhabitants, mainly farmers and fishermen, but by 1900 the population had grown to almost 7,000, following the establishment of 18 sawmills between 1860 and 1897.















No comments: