Thursday, April 24, 2008

Marie Asbjørnsen...


Marie Asbjørnsen.
http://www.marieasbjornsen.no/



“The first years I worked with jewellery, I mainly used silver as material in my work. But some years ago, while I was studying at The National Collage of Art and Design in Norway, I saw an exhibition of toys, made by children from all over the world, where everything was made out of colourful garbage. These objects impressed me and inspired me so much, that I decided to start working with recycled materials myself.
During the last years, I have travelled to South Africa, Namibia and Mali, to dig deeper into cultures where recycling is a necessity and a common way of thinking. I have been looking for all kinds of things made out of waste; toys, jewellery, sculptures, furniture and shelters.
The creativity and the strong will of looking for possibilities rather than despair, has made a strong impression on me. Being back in Norway, I have tried to learn from what I have seen, about turning trash into treasure.
My jewellery, which earlier would be made out of valuable materials, are now made out of colourful daily waste”.

Text from the on-line project; www.jewelleryproject.blogspot.com
2005-2007.

Photo; Sigurd Bronger.



1 comment:

Estercity said...

Beautiful and original